My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://janicecole.net/blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Chicken and Egg

I'm so excited! My book Chicken and Egg, A Memoir of Suburban Homesteading with 125 Recipes is over in China being printed as I write and will be officially released on January 15, 2011.
  
What a New Year's present! It's strange to think that after all the cooking, testing, writing and hard work that went into putting this project together, that I'll soon have the actual book to hold in my hands.    

 I'm a little nervous, although I know it's going to be beautiful. My publisher, Chronicle Books, has done a fantastic job of melding my recipes together with stories of my first year of raising backyard chickens to create this unique cookbook memoir. I hope you're going to love it.

As more details become clear, I'll let you know where you can purchase it, if you can pre-order, whether I'll be signing books and all sorts of other fun things.


In the meantime, the chickens are oblivious to their upcoming fame. Cleo's in a terrible mood as molting has given her a bad hair day for a month now. She's only 3 but acts 13 and truly embarrassed. Roxanne, who molted in June, is beautiful but bossy. She hasn't laid an egg since summer causing me to wonder why we put up with her. 

The two little ones make up for the quirkiness of the older two. They laid their first eggs 2 weeks ago and haven't stopped. Ruby has laid 14 eggs in a row! I think it's a record. The older girls always take a break every couple of days, that is when they're laying at all, but not Ruby our tiny runt of a girl. Hens are born carrying the entire number of ova that will develop into eggs in their lifetime. I hope she's not using up her stash too quickly.  Coco has laid 8 out of 10 days so she's also doing her part. It's great fun to be back in the egg business. I was beginning to wonder if it was all worth it.

Look at the posts below for some of the new recipes I've been making. I don't have room to post them here so thought I would share them in individual posts. Also, I've finally updated the tabs About Me and Recipes. Check them out and let me know what you think.



20 comments:

  1. Congrats on the book. We look forward to it. I wish your girls a speedy molt. I have two in a molt and one who is protesting the short days. Fortunately the other 3 think the days aren't too short.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, I'll keep you informed on the book! I'm not sure if we'll get a speedy molt around here, my girls like to take life at a lazy pace. Something I should try more often in my life....

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited about the book coming out! I will be first in line at the book store!! We will invite you all to the feast. Lots of love, the family in St. Louis

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope I can get down to St Louis to do a book signing. We'll see. If not, I hope you'll spread the word to all your friends.
    You're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cover is gorgeous. Luminous! Intriguing! Inviting. Get a good pen --- you'll be signing a whole whole lot of 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Nancie! It's nice to get such great comments from a book expert!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Janice - what an accomplishment! Congratulations on the book - it looks great. Can't wait to get my hands on it. Keep us posted on the availability.

    Love to all, Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Janice I am spreading the word on the East coast and we are so happy and proud of you. I brag about you all the time. I know it's going to be a beautiful book!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful achievement & combining everything (chickens, cooking, writting) you absolutely LOVE!!!! I want to pre-order a book with your signature in it. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Tim! Hopefully I can make it out East to sign some books. Would love to see you again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Linda! You're right, the book does combine everything I love. I hope others will love it too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kristin, thanks for your nice thoughts and encouragement. Don't worry, I'll keep you informed and maybe head toward Chicago for a book signing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't wait to buy the book and start using it. You have the best recipes. I just wish it was coming out Dec. 15th, in time for Christmas. Next year it will make nice gifts for friends.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cindy, you're so kind, thanks! I just saw that you can pre-order the book at Amazon, Borders, etc! I may even get some cards made up for those who want to give the book as Christmas gifts, something you can wrap up until the book arrives.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Say, that's a very good idea! Let me know if you decide to make up cards and how that might work.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'll get going on that and let everyone know!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I told my sister in Dallas about the book; get ready for sales in Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Barbara! I'm thrilled to sell books in Texas or anywhere else!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I cannot wait to order a copy of your new book. I've been cooking out of Cooking Pleasures/Cooking Club for almost a decade now since the recipes there typically are reliably above average. There are some really out-of-this-world recipes in the magazines that really put most other cooking magazines to shame and I recognize you are often the creator of those recipes. Your work/talent for creating gourmet recipes is a great inspiration to us hobby cooking enthusiasts!
    -Chris

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks Chris, how nice of you. It's really great to hear you like the Cooking Club magazine. We work really hard on the recipes and are glad you enjoy them. Thanks also for following my blog, I enjoy hearing from the Cooking Club members who also follow my adventures with chickens and food at home.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts with Thumbnails