My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://janicecole.net/blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, January 10, 2011

Three's a Crowd

Latest Book News: My book Chicken and Egg has been spotted on the shelf in Crate & Barrel and is featured on page 60 of their latest catalog!  I can't wait to get over to the store to see it in person. Let me know if you catch sight of it.

I grew up in a family of three sisters. I was recently reminded of my teenage years and the hours spent battling over use of the bathroom with my two sisters as I watched three of my hens last week trying to use one nest at the same time.  Watch the video below and you can almost hear their mutterings translated as "It's my turn now--you've been in there forever!" and "I can't hold it, I have to come in now!"

Ruby, the red chicken on the left, was the first one in the nest. She's then joined by Cleo on the right, while Coco, the black and white hen, demands to be let in too. The video starts with Coco's attempts to barge her way in. Listen to the gutteral cooing Ruby makes as she's laying her egg (which sounds like growling in the video). Ruby finally manages to lay her egg through it all but watch carefully as Cleo seems to claim the egg as her own and even pushes poor Ruby out of the nest.

 
I must admit, chickens are a lot calmer than teenage girls, with no shrieking, shouting or crying. All three hens eventually laid their eggs that day and they've taken turns ever since.


No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts with Thumbnails