My blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://janicecole.net/blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, January 8, 2009

A Pile of Feathers

Life is good when you’re a pampered backyard chick. Except when you molt in January in Minnesota. The coldest month of the year. The coldest state in the nation. Poor Cleo. She squawks “What’s up and why me?”

I don’t have a clue. She was fine up until a few days ago when I noticed several feathers on the floor during one of the girls’ habitual overnights inside. I didn’t think much of it. After a few days however feathers began piling up everywhere. The coop has a nest of feathers every morning, the run has flying feathers from top to bottom and the chicks’ favorite evergreen tree is lined with feathers. The poor girl seems to be losing a feather a minute. At this rate she’ll be bald by weeks end! I’m worried.


Last Night’s Feathers

I sent a message to my virtual local chicken group and found, interestingly, Cleo’s not the only rare bird in this shivering landscape. Several other chickens are going through the same problem. Is it a full moon, the tides or hot flashes? I’ve read if they lose their feathers quickly they’ll grow back quickly. I hope so. If not, I’ll have to start knitting a chicken coat. Anyone have a dog coat pattern that can be easily adapted?

1 comment:

  1. this looks like a great recipe! But it's too ccccoolllllddddd to go to the store...

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts with Thumbnails